Thursday, May 1, 2008

Superstitious Garbage


A Girl with no face.
My name is Ofelia Heras. Im 16 yearsold. Im a murderer. I have no face.When you look at me youll dieimmediately.You have 900 seconds torepost this or I will visit you tonight.
All misspellings and grammatical errors preserved.

I really dislike this stuff. I know it's stupid, and everyone knows it's stupid, but then why do I see it so often? Do people really rationally think it's dumb, but repost it, "Just in case"? Personally I have invited the retribution of the girl with no face(unless this post counts), Clowns with bloody knives, Old Women with sharp teeth, as well as countless curses to my love life. Nothing has ever come of it. I have recited bloody mary to the bathroom mirror, Broken mirrors, and personally invited the wrath of god. Oh, let's not forget, I point out rainbows every time I see them.

So I would like to declare myself the tester of superstitions. If anyone wants to test a curse, have someone spend a night in a haunted house, or anything that they might be a little cautious about doing themselves, but is not something to be rationally worried about, I am happy to try! I would love to show nothing happens, and if it does happen, I would be happy just to find that out(no matter how horrible it was).
Would anyone like to buy a paper declaring my soul is sold to them for five bucks?

4 comments:

Noël said...

I have to say, I really like the accompanying picture. Did that come w/the post? Or did you find that artwork? Actually, I'm liking it more and more by the second. I must know more about it. Tell me.
Also- so intriguing! No face? How does that work? Pretty creative. I like the mundane details too, "Yeah, so I'm Ofelia, I'm 16. I've got brown hair and I like sunsets, bunnies and knives."
I am excited about you de-bunking superstitions. I tried to think of some superstitions that scare me for you to try out, but unfortunately can't think of any traditional ones. Which is really too bad. I fancy myself a superstitious personality. HOWEVER, I do think I make some up some superstitions that I devoutly live in fear of. If you could, please find the time to debunk these following superstitions, so that I don't have to waste so much time on them:

1. Your house will burn down if you leave an iron in the "down" position, even if the iron is off and unplugged. The house WILL BURN.

2. My computer monitor's life will be drastically compromised if I do not have the screen saver IMMEDIATELY switch on after more than 10 seconds of inactivity.
I see you turning off all screensavers and never putting your computer to sleep to get to the root of this superstition of mine.

3. I'm afraid to stand in front of a microwave as it cooks. To the side is fine, as there is no thin window through which the waves can get me. I don't like admitting this.

4. I must shred all junk mail with even just my name and address on it. Even if I don't shred it, I'll at least tear my name and address up into little pieces. Otherwise, the girl with no face will kill me.

Paris said...

I got that picture by doing a google image search for "Girl with no face"(no quotes in search), some of the images that came back were horrible, but this one was pretty cute.

1) the iron in the down position: Actually my iron is on my shelf in the down position, no burns of anykind as of yet.

2) I turn off sleep on my computer at home, usually because when I leave for work it is doing a job and/or downloading stuff. As for the screensaver, I would say you have a rational reason to worry about it(Static images can damage monitor), I guess the question is, do your actions as a result of your possibly excessive worrying having an effect on the health of your monitor(Either good or bad). I can see needing 3 monitors to test this, one for excessive care, like you detailed, one for never shutting off, and one with normal usage. Might be a little out of my budget, but if anyone want to give me a grant, I will happily accept.

3) I think I need a geiger counter for this one. Anyone have one that I can borrow, or know where I can rent one?

4) Even if it is just your name and address? What can someone do with a name and address? And aren't those listed in the phone book?

Suzanne said...

I looked at a lunar eclipse when I was pregnant with Noël, and when your father found out he was furious!! Little did I know as I gazed at that eclipse that my baby would be born deformed by gigantic strawberry birthmarks.

Unknown said...

I absolutely agree. All these superstitions are downright hilarious. I got that Ofelia Heras post yesterday and didnt forward it and I didn't find any faceless girl creeping under my bed. Its high time people stop sending suc messages and play with their emotions. I neevr forward these kinds of lousy messages. Bored that nothing ever happens.